Heavy rain can quickly lead to flooding in your home, causing damage to your belongings and potentially creating hazardous conditions. Knowing what to do when your home starts to flood due to heavy rain can help minimize the damage and keep you and your family safe. Here are some steps on what to do when your home starts to flood due to heavy rain.
- Turn off electricity and gas: If your home is flooding, turn off your electricity and gas to prevent electrical shock or gas leaks. If you are unsure how to do this safely, contact your utility company.
- Move belongings to higher ground: If you have time, move your belongings to higher ground to prevent further damage. If possible, move electronics and other valuables to the second floor or higher.
- Call for help: Call a professional restoration company, like White Glove Restoration, as soon as possible to minimize damage and prevent health hazards. In the meantime, use sandbags, tarps, or other materials to try to block the water and keep it from entering your home.
- Document the damage: Take photos or videos of the damage to your home and belongings to help with insurance claims.
- Stay safe: Do not attempt to enter your home if it is flooded, as the water may be contaminated or carry electrical currents. Wait for professional help to arrive.
Once you have contacted a professional restoration company, they will assess the damage and develop a customized plan to restore your home to its pre-damaged condition. This may include water extraction, drying, mold remediation, and disinfection. They will also work with your insurance company to help you get the coverage you need to restore your home.
In conclusion, flooding due to heavy rain can be a serious and dangerous situation. Knowing what to do when your home starts to flood can help keep you and your family safe and minimize damage. Remember to turn off electricity and gas, move belongings to higher ground, call for professional help, document the damage, and stay safe. At White Glove Restoration, we are available 24/7 to provide the help you need to recover from flood damage and restore your home to its pre-damaged condition.